Thursday, May 1, 2014

Ogres are like onions

Time for a blog update....and to clarify where we are in our "road trip" journey.  Some people have been asking.  Apparently our blog isn't the easiest to navigate to get a simple and direct answer. ;) We don't have one of those cool mappy features that show our location.  Not really sure we want to, though?

Anyway, we are in Orosi, California and have been here for about a month.  To know how and why we ended up staying here, you can check out our post: Write your plans in pencil.

Back to our (very overdue) update. The farm is getting into "wedding mode"....there will be a wedding here in 3 weeks!  The Barnes' oldest daughter is getting married, and the wedding will take place here, on the farm.  It has been fun to help out with the creative aspects of wedding planning.  I got to play with lace and a glue gun last week. :) I really love seeing how everyone here has been unselfishly giving of their time to help with the preparations - even the guys.  I caught one of the GIT guys making a stencil for the "Bridesmaid" t-shirts. ;) (There is some amazing artistic talent here among the youth. I am totally impressed... and inspired.)

Family Life

Our family is doing well.  We have been keeping pretty busy every day.....our mantra is "How can I bless someone else today?"  There are lots of opportunities to do that here.  It has been a lot of fun to roll up our sleeves and do what we can.... be it in little things like baking bread, working in the garden, sweeping the floor, sitting down and listening to someone, helping with someone's "to do" list,  etc.  I love the communal aspect here.  It feels the way life should really be lived....with others...and exposes how disconnected we actually were before getting here.  Helping here at the farm and with GIT feel so much different than trying to "do ministry" back in the day.  I'm not sure if it's because I've changed, or because I was trying to do it someone else's way back then, or...?  Probably a little of both.  In any case, there is no putting on "strange armor" here.  I can be Mary.  Josh feels the same way.  So refreshing...and healing.  And I am learning that the weaknesses that I have only add to who I am and how I can serve others.  "And he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.” I shall therefore joyfully boast in my sufferings, that the power of The Messiah may rest upon me."- 2 Cor. 12:9

Homeschooling

Homeschooling has been okay....we've had some struggles this week.  Getting rid of our stuff, hitting the road and moving here didn't magically "fix all of our problems" or certain behaviorial issues with certain kiddos....and we weren't expecting that it would.  "Wherever you go, there you are", right? ;) We still 2But.  I do think it has helped bring us closer together and where we are now has been the perfect environment for us to grow, learn, give, and be for awhile.  I am soooo glad for the outlets that they have... to run and be free...have teens/young adults to look up to and teach them about farming....eat salad straight from the garden every day.... be calmed by holding baby chicks....
Seriously, I think chick-holding is therapy for my 5 year old.

Last 2 weeks' Highlights

- Emily's bridal shower/tea party 
- Josh completed the holes dug for the grapevines; we got to help plant grapevines
- New moon sighting and fellowship @ the Goodwin's house.
- Campfires w/ the Barnes 
- Making "beerox" with Karla & Amanda. (ie.  beef, cabbage & onions wrapped in bread- yummy) 
- Getting to know a couple of the GIT girls better (good talks)
- Making kale chips
- Started bible memorization w/ the kids of 1 Cor 13
- Farmer's Market
The bridal shower that I had the pleasure of helping with. It was an Alice in Wonderland theme.
S planting her grapevine in the new vineyard.

Me making kale chips using the kale from their massive garden. They were delicious by the way!

The kid's highlights were:
-helping transplant more flowers into pots
-catching butterflies
-planting vines
-playing with Hero & Bandit (two of the dogs)
-helping sort, count and lay out onions. (Onion Math! Love it!) 

Baiting butterflies with an orange slice



Ogres are like onions....that famous "Shrek" line.  Moms and dads are like onions too.  Finding out that there is more to me than I realized...more that the Father God wants to reveal...(the good, the bad, and the ugly)...and to use.  Peeling away those layers kinda make you "cry" at times...but it's all good. 

;-)

2 comments:

  1. Shalom Miryam,
    Great post~It sounds like you are having a great time :)
    Shalom,
    Moira

    ReplyDelete